Friday, November 9, 2012

The best is yet to come

  A big political campaign ended on Wednesday morning, perhaps you heard about it? And perhaps you heard about the importance that women played in it, and the prominence that women's health and economic issues had in the political discussion. Perhaps you even heard that politicians with radical views were rejected by their constituents. And perhaps you know that the representation of women in the Senate will be at an all-time high. All of this gives me hope. As one friend said, "this gives me hope for all our daughters".

  This is a short post, in part because those job(s) I've been looking for in places I want to live have been posted, and I'm trying my darndest to make myself the obvious candidate. But the week's main contest makes me hope that indeed "the best is yet to come". Two articles I read this week really showed me how far women's rights has come in the last century:

From when women were fighting for the vote:
www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/war-on-women-waged-in-postcards-memes-from-the-suffragist-era/

And a perspective on the changes in gender roles and relations from The Atlantic:
www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/10/the-atlantic-on-women-and-men-from-1859-to-now/264155/#slide1

I gotta say, it makes me so very appreciative of the changes of the last 100 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment